Tangerine requires the following minimum features for use as a data collection tool.
- Capacitive touch screen
- Android OS [v. 2.3 or higher]
- HTML 5-capable browser
- Wi-Fi (b/g/n)
- 4GB HDD
- 512MB Memory
- 1GHz dual-core processor
- 7 hours battery life (without Internet turned on)
- Ability to install third-party Android applications
Additionally, the following are desired features
- 3G connectivity
- Flash 10 capability
- Mini-/USB port
- Mini-/HD slot
The following is recommended:
- 7 inch screen
- Ideally below 1lb. in weight
- Netbooks are also a possibility and should have many of the same features above, except that input is through the mouse or touchpad and the operating system remains intact (Tangerine will run entirely off of a USB removable disk).
Suggested compatible hardware. A range of tablets/eReaders meet the minimum requirements, including the Archos 70, Barnes & Noble Nook Color and Tablet, Huawei Ideos 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (starting with original 7 with Internet only, although the current generation), Cherry Tablet 2. Several RTI projects are using the original Kindle Fire (We previously did not recommend Kindles because of a quirk in their default browser, but that has been resolved in the latest version of Tangerine for Android 5). Other compatible devices include the Google Nexus 7, Asus Zenpad as well as the new Kindle Fire HD (7 inch and larger screens). The Zenpad (Z17OCG) was recently purchased and used in the Philippines for about $130.